Some things I've learned....

(1) An Engineer can do with 10 cent what a fool can do with a Euro.

(2) "Puff" - unimportant; insignificant; unworthy of study by engineering students; waste of time

(3) It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're stupid than to open it and prove them right!

(4) Blockwork people and concrete people can never work on the same site... Apparently they don't like each other....

(5) It's official; I'm fantastic!

Tuesday 29 January 2008

Grinds My Gears!! - Issue 15

Sorry about the delay for this one, but I've been fairly busy in college at the moment and didn't have the time. However, with a two hour break on my hand before Mechanics labs, I'm taking the time to give a GMG on something which I think many people have experienced and will agree with me. I'm talking about the World's Worst Company....NTL!


Where to begin... when we first moved to Lucan we had NTL, it was crap. Bad reception, channels coming on and off, no customer service nothing. 14 years later - still the same. If you ring up NTL you have to put up with one of those annoying tunes while you wait to be connected to an operator. Not only do you wait for about 15-30mins, but when you are connected, more often than not the person can't help you with your problem. The fact that you have to wait so long to get through to them is a sign of just how many people are ringing up with complaints!

I'll explain with a personal example. As many of you will know, I spend every Friday, and indeed some Saturday mornings in Walkinstown, in the house my Grandmother owned. She died about 4 years ago now, but we've kept the house for convenience during the school week - I'm avoiding details. ANYWAY, around November/December we noticed that the TV reception was totally gone, the only stations we had being RTE 1 & 2, and even they were pretty bad. Initially we thought we had forgotten to pay a bill - as I said no one is living there on a regular basis, so a bill could've been overlooked. So, we rang NTL, and after the mandatory 15 min wait we found we had paid the bills - therefore it was a technical problem.

With that in mind, we rang NTL a week later to arrange for a technician to come out. We were told he'd be there on Monday between 1.00pm and 5.00pm, an EXCELLENT timeframe (end sarcasm). Why they can't be like SKY and actually tell you EXACTLY when the technician will be there is beyond me. Nevertheless, he amazing arrived at 1.30pm and told me he'd have to send out a repair team. Don't ask me why he couldn't do it. I was told they'd be there tomorrow morning; that being Tuesday morning. The following day, I waited from 9-4.30 for the repairmen to arrive. Guess what? They never came! We rang NTL that evening to ascertain why they hadn't shown up to be told that no team had been scheduled for that repair, but we would be contacted when they were.

Thursday I fly over to Walkinstown to pick up my sister from school and lo-and-behold what should I find in the postbox at the house: a call card to say a technician had arrived but we hadn't been in! The mother f'ers! We rang them up later to express our dissatisfaction! I mean how FUCKING bad is that type of service!

In the time we've been SKY customers in Lucan, we've only ever ONCE had to call someone out, and that was to install another Minibox in another room. Perfect picture quality, huge range of channels, excellent customer service (when you ring you get an answer and they can help you!) and just an all round fantastic service. It is amazing to see NTL still functioning as a company. A few years ago we received a letter from NTL saying they were taking us to court for not paying years of our bills on our service. The thing these jackasses had failed to notice was that during those years we had been on SKY, and had disconnected their NTL service. The fact that they didn't even notice that is further evidence of how bad they are. Needless to say an apologetic letter from NTL ensued.

What's the message I'm trying to put across? AVOID NTL AT ALL COSTS!

~The Damo

1 comment:

Ann Marie said...

We've had NTL for years now. It is annoying whn the picture goes out the odd time. Can't say we've had any bad experiences customer service wise but we've rarely used them. Last time we had them out it was because Jack's box was broken and they had a new one ready in the van. By the sounds of this guess we've just been lucky.