Some things I've learned....

(1) An Engineer can do with 10 cent what a fool can do with a Euro.

(2) "Puff" - unimportant; insignificant; unworthy of study by engineering students; waste of time

(3) It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're stupid than to open it and prove them right!

(4) Blockwork people and concrete people can never work on the same site... Apparently they don't like each other....

(5) It's official; I'm fantastic!

Monday 19 February 2007

More Postulations....1=2?!?!?!

So I'm not really going to answer the above question, my first blog simply stated that one and two are in fact the same thing observed from different precepts.....as postulated by Astemeyer.

Anyway, something I always find myself thinking about is 'existence', or more importantly my own existence. What is the purpose of our existence??? To be created, live, then die? To fulfil a purposeful and meaningful life? The latter seems more correct to me. Many would say that we exist to live God's word through the Bible.

How do we measure how purposeful and meaningful our lives are? I believe it is partly our own judgement. Only we know whether we live with purpose. Of course that is different for many different people. Each individual believes they have a different purpose, unless of course they believe that they exist to die.

Personally, I find myself tormented mentally over this concept, as I search for the answers to the question: 'Why do I exist?'. For many they believe it's money, others love, some believe it's pain. I find myself asking 'What do I have to offer anyone?' or 'offer the world'. Are we correct to judge ourselves in this manner, as some think of themselves too highly and some too little. Surely it is impossible for even ourselves to judge correctly whether we live with purpose.

And what if we conclude that we have no purpose at all other than to live and die. Is it right then for us to determine whether we should still choose to live or not? I expect that noone ever truly finds their purpose. Sure they may believe that they exist to hit the big-time or whatever, but how can one truly know their purpose.

That said, I don't know what mine is. Nor do I expect ever to find it. Ultimately, my theory is that we exist to embrace everything life has to offer, regardless of whether we believe we are capable of one thing or not. Not necessarily to grind through life, day by day and eventually pass away. For instance, over the past months I've tried things that I never ever thought I would be capable of doing. This can perhaps be influenced by different people, or recent events. Should a person make you feel happy and confident, then you may find yourself capable of doing things for that person that you would never do for anyone else. Or, should you feel upset over something, and aren't used to talking about it, and something close to you has happened that has put you in a state where you can no longer control your emotions, then you may indeed begin to talk to people about it.

Nobody exists solely to feel pain or to be unhappy. Nor does someone exist solely to have everything go their way. We have multiple purposes. We affect different people in different ways. If you think you are lost about your existence, the easiest way to answer your mind is to think of how other people depend on you or how they think of you. You can mean something to everyone you know, whether its senseless chat, or the latest scandal gossip or just giving them their cup of tea in the morning, we all exist for something no matter how meaningless or purposeless we may think it is, because at the end of the day, it means something to someone.

"Princess Bonjela - Ace Rimmer; there'll be time for explanations later, and hopefully...some sex."

- Ace after he rescues the Princess

~Damien

No comments: