Some things I've learned....

(1) An Engineer can do with 10 cent what a fool can do with a Euro.

(2) "Puff" - unimportant; insignificant; unworthy of study by engineering students; waste of time

(3) It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're stupid than to open it and prove them right!

(4) Blockwork people and concrete people can never work on the same site... Apparently they don't like each other....

(5) It's official; I'm fantastic!

Sunday 4 May 2008

Long Time No Blog

I only realised when I signed in the other day that my blog performance for April was quite shocking. This was in fact due to the incredible workload I was under for the month including:

> An AED course
> Divisional Competitions exam setting
> NOVICE CUP - which we came 3rd in
> 100 page report for my Communications module
> 20 minute presentation in powerpoint for the aforementioned report
> A set of steps made of cardboard which had to support my own weight
> A Mechanics assignment

That is all DONE now of course, but alas, such is college life that I now must study for exams over the next two weeks which realistically means...no blogs!

So I'm going about posting all relevant blogs that I have hear in an attempt to keep interest while I'm away.

First and foremost is the exams themselves. Thankfully I've only 5 actual exams, one of which is a computer exam. The 6th module is in fact the one which took up all my time last month in the aforementioned project, presentation, steps etc. Speaking of that, we received an email from our Co-ordinator - Arturo - that our portfolios had to be in by Friday. When I arrived into college on Thursday for a tutorial, I found the office where we had to submit it would be closed for Thursday and Friday. So Arturo - the legend - said I could knock at his office on Friday and he would make the effort to have the office opened so I could hand it in. Dedication or WHAT! Anyway so as you can expect studying is a pain in the arse, especially for Mechanics and Surveying. The only one I'm looking forward to is really Theory and Design II, as the questions are very hands-on and you can actually visualise what your calculating - namely beams, foundations and rising elements for buildings. Computer Apps isn't bad either, and it's kindof hard to study for a computer based module. All I can do is practice on the pilot service MATLAB that's available through UCD connect, but it's hardly exciting.

What IS exciting though is one of the best games I've played to date which I managed to get my chubby hands on on Thursday when everywhere in town was sold out...GRAND THEFT AUTO 4!!! Initially I thought I would do a review of this. But since it's likely to take me in excess of 40 hours to complete - the main story - I can't see that happening anytime soon. I MAY do some kindof review in general but we'll see how it goes, and it certainly won't be happening till after the exams. I'm using GTA4 as an incentive to study, if I study well during the day, I can reward myself with virtual booze, sex and violence later on in the evening. But in short, IT FREAKING ROCKS!!!

The above means my review of Gran Turismo 5: Prologue is on hold, as the GTA disc currently sits in my PS3. I also managed to buy the two expansion packs for Warhawk a few weeks back too and they are quite fantastic.

The stress in my life does not end there however. This coming Sunday my youth team will be playing in the penultimate game of the season against the All Muslim team Clonskeagh who called us in for the racism charge earlier in the season. While we're quite sure they'll play the same overage players again and avoid punishment from the league again, victory would mean the league title for us, losing would mean league glory for them. My youngest brother on the otherhand, his team are in the final of their cup after a nail biting game in Ballyowen Park against Peamount. The game went to extra time and penalties but two fine saves from Esker's goalkeeper ensured a cup medal at the end.

Finally, I have a delicious teaser trailer from the legend Hideo Kojima himself. Pay attention...



Yes Mr. Kojima... I DO like it!

~The Damo

1 comment:

Ann Marie said...

*looks at stacks of books and photocopies by bed* Isn't education just buckets of fun filled joy, especially at end of semester.