Some things I've learned....

(1) An Engineer can do with 10 cent what a fool can do with a Euro.

(2) "Puff" - unimportant; insignificant; unworthy of study by engineering students; waste of time

(3) It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're stupid than to open it and prove them right!

(4) Blockwork people and concrete people can never work on the same site... Apparently they don't like each other....

(5) It's official; I'm fantastic!

Saturday 23 February 2008

News, Ramblings, Frustrations, Glasses and a Sorry Funeral

Long time no blog, but I've been VERY busy you see, particularly with college work. You see, not only do I have an assignment for Design and Communications every week, but I also have an 8-page report on top of that too, and given that last Thursday I had to prepare a short presentation for my group on Environmental Ethics in Practice in the same module, it kindof has taken priority over all my blog writing and time on the computer.
If that wasn't enough, I have a huge 2 and a half hour assignment for Mechanics of Solids next week and a test in Statistics for Engineers the next week too! On the plus side though I do get my official academic scroll/diploma/thingy for my scholarship on March 7th!

Recently, we started our sessions with the Architects for our studio work on Monday's, and I must say, it was the most awful psycho-blabble I've ever had to endure. I mean 3 hours of drawing with charcoal on butter paper! To make matters worse, I was drawing a shot glass! How many ways can you draw a glass? Answer: Not many. Nonetheless I had to spend all that time drawing! We were encouraged to ponder on our "discoveries" after the drawing and discuss it with our classmates. We also now have to keep a diary notebook, and draw things we see. That wouldn't be so bad if the damn thing didn't so inconveniently not fit in my pocket!!!!

Now that that rubbish is out of the way I can get onto some of the more hardcore stuff - most notably the fact that the Cork county players are still allowed to play in the National Leagues. If the GAA had any balls they'd have kicked Cork out. I mean, it's not even like they deserve to be in ANY position to argue. They didn't even give Kerry a game in last year's All-Ireland Final. The likes of Roy Keane and Stephen Ireland further enforce the argument that Cork are the England of GAA. WHO DO THEY THINK THEY ARE? One man seems more concerned about having a go at the FAI rather than keeping his own team in the Premiership, the other is a little shit of thinks that he can leave the Irish squad and then come back when he pleases. If Trappatoni has the balls - which most Italians do - he will leave Stephen Ireland out of the squad indefinitely.

On that note - hats off to FAI for pulling a wild card out of deck in snatching up "Il Trap". What a proud day it was to see the FAI reel in one of the masters of the game to lead our country for the next two years! Admittedly I was one of many who voiced their frustration at the time taken to find a successor to the Gaffer, but now that we can see the pedigree of the man chosen...it was worth the wait!

And lastly, before I sign off....a moment's silence.


Ladies and Gentlemen....HD-DVD's are dead. Blu-Ray is king. YAY! A turbulent week in the electronics world has seen HD-DVD crash out in incredible style. Big retailers and manufacturers announced the drop of HD-DVD's one after the other, until eventually Toshiba threw in the towel. Now with Sony's Blu-Ray the supreme winner, all those suckers who bought HD-DVD players...and even more so those who bought the add-on for the Xbox own something that literally has NO value whatsoever. Given now that the best Blu-Ray players are in excessive of €1000, a 40GB PS3 seems the way to go!

Oh yeah, and HAZE is coming out real soon!!!!

Fight the good fight...and win!

~The Damo

No comments: